Warehouse Sale! 10% Off All In Stock Goods! Discount Already Applied
What's In Your Moon
What's In Your Moon
Today we have a special seasonal project from Chef Mary Andra Holmes! This Halloween mini quilt is perfect for your favorite seasonal fabrics - fat quarters and layer cakes work wonderfully! This adorable Halloween quilt would be extra special in Moda wool!
Include an introductory paragraph with a link to your blog or social media, if desired.
This quilt/project finishes at xx" x xx".
- 3/4 yard background fabric (white)
- 1/4 yard moon fabric (yellow check)
- 1/4 yard sashing and first border fabric (green)
- 1/4 yard second border fabric (orange)
- 1 yard third border and binding fabric (black)
- applique scraps - for bat, pumpkin and black crow, witch's hat and broom and spider web and spider for inside moons. Scraps will be not larger then 8" x 8" and as small as 2" x 2".
- 1 1/4 yards backing
- black floss
- applique thread
- 40" x 40" batting
Print patterns for embroidery and applique from the Printer Friendly file at the very bottom of this post.
Please read all directions before starting this quilt.
From background fabric, cut (4) 12.5" squares
From moon fabric, cut (4) 8" circles
From sashing and first border fabric, cut (2) 1" x 12.5", (3) 1" x 25", (2) 1" x 26"
From second border fabric, cut (2) 2" x 26", (2) 2" x 29.5"
From third border fabric, cut (2) 3.5" x 29.5", (2) 3.5" x 36"
From binding fabric, cut (4) 2.5" x 40" strips
Center a moon on each of the 12.5" x 12.5" blocks and applique in place. Using the placement guide for each moon, applique all pieces in place using your favorite applique method.
- Bat - place wings under bat body. Applique' in place.
- Pumpkin and Black Crow - applique' 3 sections of the pumpkin in place and add pumpkin top. Applique' bird and attach bird wing.
- Witch hat - applique' broom handle and then base in place. Applique witch hat and add ribbon. Note: witches hat sits on top of broom handle.
Spider web and spider - using a light source, trace all web lines on the moon. I used one strand of Aurifil floss for all the embroidery. Embroider all the web lines using an outline stitch or stitch of your choice. Applique' spiders body in place. Then using light source trace spider legs using the appliqued spider as a placement guide.
Embroider spider legs.
Add 1" sashing to blocks. Add center 3 sashings then each side and top and bottom.
Layer, baste, and quilt as desired. Bind with black binding fabric.
This mini quilt finishes at 40" square.
Mary Andra Holmes