Welcome to Moda Fabrics!
Blockheads ~ Block 16
Blockheads ~ Block 16
Sweet Sixteen! So let's wave the flag and celebrate!
It's Jan Patek Week with the Blockheads and she is sharing a patriotic appliqué block. Please feel fee to customize your flag - or flags - as desired. The Jolly Roger?
I decided to piece the flag... not my best idea. I cut strips measuring 5/8" wide and joined them using a generous 1/8" seam allowance. I pressed the seams open - trimming a bit as necessary. The pieced strip was then cut to size adding a 1/4" seam allowance on three sides. Since it was a bit bulky it seemed like a good idea to appliqué the flag pole on top of the raw edge of the flag. A circle at the top of the flag pole seemed like a good idea too... thank you Karen Kay Buckley and your Perfect Circles. It still took me f.o.r.e.v.e.r. to get a nice-looking circle but that's not Karen's fault... I accept full responsibility.
And yes, I decided to machine-appliqué this block. I needed the practice... and I wanted to experiment with Aurifil's 80 wt. thread. I love it - I will definitely need more colors! (I've used the 80 wt. several times for machine-quilting smaller projects and I love it, but I was interested to see how it stitched for machine-appliqué.)
Tammy also thought a little outside the box for her Flag Block.
She decided to put the block on point - and with her assortment of fabrics having a fall-theme, fussy-cutting pumpkins is the perfect touch. The background fabric is from Minick & Simpson's Miss Scarlett - it is-was a really good collection.
If you're missing any blocks, we now have a Blockheads page listing the links to all of the published blocks. It includes the link to that designer's blog post about the block, and links to other useful information. The Blockheads can be found here.
Question of the Week ~ Right now, today, this very minute... how many "works in progress" do I have? And... 'fess up, will I ever finish them?
Ack! Give me a moment, I have to make a list.
- Blue Reproduction Blockheads - yes, I'll finish.
- Fig Tree & Co. Blockheads - yes.
- FQS Patchwork Quiltalong made with a scrappy assortment of Bonnie & Camille fabrics - yes.
- Cake Mix 5 with Jen Kingwell's Lollies - yes.
- Cake Mix 6 with Zen Chic's Fragile and Jen Kingwell's Behind the Scenes Wovens - yes.
- Bella Solid strip quilt - cut out and "waiting" - yes.
- Orange Diamond quilt - I hope so.
- Triangle Gatherings blocks - very scrappy - so far, so good.
- Red, White, & Blue Log Cabin Swap - I hope so... after I remake some of the blocks.
- Log Cabin quilt for a class - I better finish it!
- Flying Geese quilt for a class - see above.
- Red, White & Blue remake of an old quilt... probably not. Instead, I think I'm going to re-purpose the parts for another quilt.
This is not the most "works in progress" I've ever had but its more than usual. I rarely have more than three.
I'll also admit to happily passing along projects that I know I won't finish. More often than not, if I haven't finished it within a year, it's probably not going to happen.
13. Red and Green Lucy quilt - strip sets are done, I just need to cut them apart and finish the blocks. Yes - but not until after I finish the class quilts.
14. Moda's Sampler Shuffle quilt from 2015. All the parts are done, I just need to decide on a setting fabric and finish it.
15. I'm sure I'm forgetting something...
Obviously I've been missing a lot of calls - and I need to get caught up.
Just in case you missed it - CLICK HERE to get the link to Block 16 - Jan's Flags Block.
That's it for today, June 21. Be sure to visit Lynne, Betsy, J0 and Lisa to see their blocks and what other good things they might have made:
- Lynne’s Blog / Facebook / Website
- Betsy’s Blog / Facebook / Instagram
- Jo’s Blog / Instagram
- Jan’s Blog / Website
- Lisa’s Blog / Website / Instagram
Be sure to see the blocks being posted to #modablockheads on Instagram and Facebook. If you're not already a member, you can also join the fun in the Moda Blockheads Facebook group. It's a busy group with folks sharing tips, suggestions and support.
Happy Blockhead Wednesday!